Mad Madder LAB – Creating the Pantone 2022 Color of the Year
A quick chat about creating color mixes!
The pantone color of the year for 2022 is a luscious but fairly light shade of purple. We decided to embrace it in all its ugly glory (lol) & try to recreate it in a dyebath! Here are a few things we tried, along with results & our BEST take at getting this purple-blue almost muted hue.
- Black Beans
- Using new to us dyesources
- Mixed dyesources in original bath
- Double dipping in two different baths
- Using the original bath in a 2nd simmer the next day
- Mixing original baths into a new dyebath the next day
- Using modifiers to alter dyebaths (acids & bases)
Pomegranate + Pomegranate w/ Iron water modifier double dip in two dyebaths
Blueberry + raspberry mix in original dyebath
Cabbage + Logwood dyebath double dip
Blackbean original dyebath
Cabbage + Logwood dyebath double dips
The closest we could seem to come looks like this…
Day 1 : A Blueberry/Raspberry original dyepot.
Day 1 : A Blackbean original dyepot.
On Day 2 use 1/3 of the blueberry/raspberry dyepot + 1/3 of the blackbean dypepot + 1/3 distilled water for a watered down slightly red tinted purple!